2/29/2008

Sticks and Stones.....

can break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

That is one of the biggest lies that people try to convince themselves of.

Correction: Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will always scar me.

James 3 speaks about the tongue and the immeasurable damage and the powerful good it is capable of.

I remember in elementary school when there were some girls making fun of me in gym class. I still remember exactly how I felt and the inferiority and self-contempt that came with the deliverance of the words from those girls. I'm sure I'll never forget it. I truly believe that their comments affected me for a lifetime.

The tongue will either cause us to build others up and give them great hope and assurance or, it will cause massive destruction in the wake of what was said.

Jame 3:3-6
We can make a large horse turn around and go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. And a tiny rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot wants it to go, even though the winds are strong. So also, the tongue is a small thing, but what enormous damage it can do. A tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the whole course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself.


It doesn't take much to accomplish some damage in either your life or the lives of others.

One false accusation, and the career of a pastor or teacher is over regardless of the truthful outcome of innocence.

Verbal abuse from parent to child allowing that child to believe she is unloved and worthless for a lifetime is a reality in this world because of the tongue.


Words leave scars for a lifetime when used by the tongue to damage and destroy.

What is it you say when no one is looking? Do you build others up or do you bring them down in contempt?

What we say when no one is around, reveals the nature of our tongue.

What's your nature?

1 comment: