10/13/2007

Unexpected Brightness

I had to work today, which was fine by me because it's a chance to get out of the house and do grownup things and talk to actual grownup people.

Part of my job is to answer the phones. I don't mind it at all. Actually, I quite enjoy it.

This afternoon I answered the phone as usual with the automatic greeting departing from my lips. On the other end was a lady who, by the extra noise I could hear in the background, was a passenger in her vehicle as her husband was driving.

In uptight tones from what I could hear, he was relaying his comments through his wife to me. They had a flat tire in need of repair and were wondering if they could come in to get it fixed. So I told them it would be okay to come in.

They arrived shortly after that but by then I had moved onto other things and had quickly forgotten our brief exchange of words.

This couple entered the shop. He headed straight for the order desk and she came and spoke to me. This time with her own words and not those of a frustrated husband.

"Thank you for your patience on the phone."

That's all she said.

I was amazed at how something so small could be a bright spot in my day. Here I was, just doing my job, and someone really appreciated it even though, in my mind anyway, it was something quite small.

What if we were to pass on our appreciation to the unsuspecting in our lives? One never knows when their kind words, even about the most minor of things, might brighten up someone else's day.

Try it.

You may just surprise yourself....and them!

No comments: