11/21/2007

The Blanket


I sit here looking outside at the freshly fallen snow. As much as I appreciate the beauty of this image, I can't help but feel a little frustrated by the appearance of this crystallized water. It only serves to make life a little more difficult as I try to accomplish my daily tasks. Driving on the icy roads, pushing a stroller down the icy sidewalk, walking so carefully so that I don't take a fall. All of these things contribute to my dislike of winter.

However, I like that the snow covers up the ugly browns of late fall. It's fresh and appealing. It's similar to how God's love and forgiveness can cover up the ugliness of my heart. It still doesn't mean things will be easy but they will have improved. Just as there is beauty in the midst of a fresh snowfall, there can be beauty within if only we allow the one who created us to cover us with his blanket of white.

1 comment:

enji said...

i love the snow. a lot. it makes me smile. its one of my favorite parts of nature. i'm not sure if you still imagine heaven to be sitting on a fluffy white cloud- but that's what it reminds me of when its snowing softly- like God's sending little tiny pieces of heaven down to earth.

(of course, as soon as the snow is too high for me to walk in the field without freezing my feet entirely off, i will probably not like the snow so much.)