5/31/2007

Red and Yellow, Black and White....

Here's one story I have from Mexico that may have impacted me the most.

We went to a work camp on the Tuesday night that we were there. The living conditions consisted of a couple of concrete buildings made into row housing. Every family got to claim a small dark room for themselves. This is in the desert so everything is brown, dusty, and dirty. Adults and children did not have much in terms of warm jackets or blankets. The children were dirty and could have desperately used a bath. Most of the kids were barefoot while alot of the adults had sandals on. It was a very cool night. I was freezing by the time we left.

As we were there I had the opportunity to hold a baby. This baby girl was no more than 2 months old, maybe even younger. She had a dirty, short-sleeved onesie on, an old crocheted toque, little blue mittens, and socks that the orphanage volunteers had brought. She was wrapped in a dirty, dirty blanket and a filthy pink bath towel. My heart just ached for this child and her mother. As a mom I couldn't imagine raising my own children in such poverty.

I realized that this mom and I had much in common. We both wanted what's best for our children. We both loved our children. We both would do anything to protect them. It didn't matter that I was Canadian and she was Mexican. It didn't matter that I spoke english and she spoke spanish. None of this mattered because the same God who created me and my children also created her and her children. That's what we had in common.

This makes me think of the children's song "Jesus Loves the Little Children." It goes like this...Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, we are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

There is so much truth to that children's song. He loves all of us despite our differences, our race, our language. It's incredible.

No comments: